UTSIP Kashiwa, initiated by the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences in 2013, provides a hands-on research internship program in the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Information Technology, International Studies, Materials Sciences, Advanced Energy, Ocean Science, Physics and Sustainability Science Studies.
The UTSIP Japan Summer Internship will be held at University of Tokyo, Kashiwa Campus.The UTSIP 2019 is a Fully Funded Internship.
2019 UTSIP Kashiwa will offer two different programs:
Program A June 3 (Mon) to July 12 (Fri), 2019
Program B June 24 (Mon) to August 2 (Fri), 2019
Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Information Technology, International Studies, Materials Sciences, Advanced Energy, Ocean Science, Physics and Sustainability Science Studies, BA/BS.
The research departments accepting UTSIP students
Division of Transdisciplinary Sciences
- Advanced Materials Science
- Advanced Energy
- Complexity Science and Engineering
Division of Biosciences
- Integrated Biosciences
- Computational Biology and Medical Sciences
Division of Environmental Studies
- Ocean Technology, Policy, and Environment
- Environment Systems
- Human and Engineered Environment Studies
- Socio-cultural Environmental Studies
- International Studies
- Graduate Program in Sustainability Science
- UTokyo provides a UTSIP scholarship and accommodation to participants.
- UTSIP scholarship amount: JPY 110,000
- UTSIP provide accomodation
- hroughout the entire duration of a UTSIP program.
- Health insurance plan GSFS provides:
|Death or Physical Disability benefits||1 million yen|
|Medical benefits||1 million yen|
|Liability||100 million yen|
If you have applied or will apply for a different scholarship, please mention this on the Application page. Some past UTSIP participants received a stipend from the following organizations. Applicants are encouraged to apply a financial aid.
● Friends of UTokyo, Inc. (FUTI)
● MIT-Japan program
● Honda Foundation
● UCLA Terasaki Center for Japanese Studies (from 2018)
- Participants must be in their undergraduate program at an overseas college or university throughout the entire duration of UTSIP program, and will not have completed their BA/BS degree.
- Participants are considering to matriculate graduate level study at the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences or other graduate schools at The University of Tokyo, or elsewhere in Japan
- Participants are required to participate in all activities including classes, laboratory work, and special events organized by UTSIP.
Required Documents to Apply:
Please prepare the application materials described below well in advance; upload in PDF or JPEG format.
Answer the following two questions within 500 to 700 words in total:
- Why did you choose the laboratory that you did, and what do you hope to acquire from the UTSIP experience? Be specific.
- Describe how qualified you believe you are to conduct for a research project in the laboratory you have chosen. Explain how you believe your experience and skills will enable you to successfully carry out a project.
Form free (paper size A4, 2-3 pages)
- If you have participated in projects, please describe these experiences in detail. If you have participated in a research project related to the project you would like to conduct in UTSIP, please include this.
Copy of your transcript
- The transcript should cover all the courses of your undergraduate level study up to the most recent completed academic period of study, and must be written in English or Japanese.
- A recommendation letter should be written by someone who knows your current study well. For example a professor at your current university, a supervisor at your previous research internship.
Your supervisor or professor can send a recommendation letter directly to us via e-mail (to: [email protected]) . The e-mail title must be ‘UTSIP 2019 Recommen letter for NAME OF APPLICANT’. In such cases, applicants are not informed of the content of the letter.
Certificate of Registration
- This certificate verifies that you are actually a registered student at your university. There is no specific format for this. Your name, name of your university and faculty, year and month of entry will be checked.
Certificate of English proficiency
- TOEFL (iBT, PBT), IELTS, or TOEIC score sheet. The most recent score report should be submitted.
- Applicants who are a student at a university where English is the official language, should upload an official document issued by the university attesting to the language of education being English at the time of application.
Copy of your passport
- Page with your picture (if you have one).If you do not have a passport, submit an alternative ID with your name, photo and date of birth.
Picture in digital data
- Upper body, plain single-color background, taken within the last three months
How to Apply:
- Choose Program A or B
- Choose a professor/laboratory to work in from the host laboratory list
- Apply through the UTSIP online application system. The application form link is given below
January 31, 2019.